Converting From Oil Heat to Gas Heat
We’re not sure if it is worth it to convert from oil heat to gas heat. Although plumbers and utility companies in the Northeast report record numbers of conversions from oil heat to gas heat, it is not clear whether the conversions will pay off in the long run. It’s possible that insulating the house and replacing a large, inefficient oil boiler with a smaller, Energy Star unit would be a safer investment. Let’s look at the cons.
Plumbers in Boston report that the ballpark up-front investment in converting from oil heat to gas heat is $10,000, and that figure varies depending on whether or not you need to run a pipe out to the municipal gas line. How long will it take for that investment to pay itself off?
These are four reasons why an oil heat to gas heat conversion might not pay off:
1. The cost of gas might rise. Right now natural gas is cheaper than oil, but if demand increases it is possible that the price of gas will rise. Home heating oil dealers compete with each other, and you also have options like biodiesel fuel blends. If you don’t like your oil supplier, you can change suppliers. Natural gas is (generally) delivered by the local utility company. If they raise the price of natural gas, there is not always a competitor to switch to.
2. Heating delivery problems can negate the value of your investment. According to Habitat Magazine, a magazine for board members and property managers of co-ops and condos, the investment in converting from oil heat to gas heat is worth little if the building has heat distribution problems. Ineffective heat distribution can cause overheating on lower floors, and cold temperatures on upper floors. Revamping your heat delivery system could improve the performance of your oil heater sufficiently to reduce the costs of using it. Revamping your heat delivery system might also be an added cost that would negate the value of the lower cost of natural gas.
See our commenting and posting policy.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 10394Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9157Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5761Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4888Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4371Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4162How to help tornado victims
- 4108Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley