Cooperation seen with Illinois' fracking proposal
Fracking uses a high-pressure mixture of water, sand or gravel and chemicals to crack and hold open thick rock formations, releasing trapped oil and gas.
Combined with horizontal drilling, it allows access to formerly out-of-reach deposits.
The industry insists the method is safe and could create thousands of jobs.
Critics are urging lawmakers instead to support a 2-year moratorium on the practice to study scientific evidence surrounding contamination and potential health effects, as well as the impact on water supplies.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 21736Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17602Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12531Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9970Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 9708Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9584Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 7184Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head in self-defense