Correction: Energy Incentives story
"You don't want to judge all the projects by the one that failed," he said.
An opponent of state investment in startup companies doesn't hesitate to draw conclusions, though.
"I think it is an extremely poor return on investment," said investment adviser Ashby Foote. He's the volunteer president of Bigger Pie Forum, a group promotes free-market policies for economic growth.
Gov. Phil Bryant and Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves say they oppose some aspects of deals signed under the administration of former Gov. Haley Barbour, but add that Mississippi must live up to contractual commitments it made with companies
Bryant said he's "very concerned" about job creation, but said he didn't think the state could renegotiate with companies that it has already signed contracts with.
"I don't think we could start doing that because one of the things you have to have in economic development is the ability to keep your word," he told AP.
However, state officials haven't signed contracts yet with some other firms, including Silicor, which wants to build a silicon plant in Columbus; Virdia, which wants to build biofuels plants; and GreenTech Automotive, which is building electric vehicles in Horn Lake.
The state had a deal to put in as much as $54 million, including a $50 million loan, but only would make half the loan to the San Jose, Calif. company until Twin Creeks itself invested $27 million. It's unclear how much Twin Creeks put in. Bryant told AP earlier that he stopped further aid to the company. Bryant has said he opposes state investments in start-ups and would prefer to deal with established industries.
Reeves noted he pushed a bill in last year's Legislature that would have limited MDA's ability to make loans without legislative approval. He also said he voted "no" on at least some loan requests MDA made while treasurer. However, other members of the state Bond Commission voted 'yes," allowing the loans to go ahead.
Follow Jeff Amy at: http://twitter.com/jeffamy
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 14605Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9594Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8537Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8009Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6980Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6486Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6299Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister