Cosart, Oberholtzer to follow Feldman for Astros

Published on NewsOK Modified: March 20, 2014 at 6:02 pm •  Published: March 20, 2014
Advertisement
;

KISSIMMEE, Fla. (AP) — Jarred Cosart and Brett Oberholtzer will follow Scott Feldman to the mound for the Houston Astros in their opening series against the New York Yankees.

Houston manager Bo Porter made the announced Thursday, when the Astros reassigned shortstop Carlos Correa and pitcher Mark Appel to their minor league camp. Correa was the top pick in the 2012 amateur draft and Appel was the No. 1 selection last year.

The Astros also reassigned first baseman Jon Singleton, outfielder Delino DeShields and pitcher Mike Foltynewicz. George Springer was optioned to Oklahoma City where he will make the transition from center field to right field.

All except Singleton were first-round draft choices.

"There's not too many organizations that can send out that caliber of talent, all in one fell swoop," general manager Jeff Luhnow said as the Astros lost to a Philadelphia Phillies split squad 6-3. "While none of them are ready to be on the 25-man major league roster for opening day, all of them, I believe, will be there in the near future."

Lucas Harrell, among four candidates for two open spots in Houston's rotation, allowed one run and six hits in 4 1-3 innings. He walked two and struck out none.

"I would prefer not to get any strikeouts," he said. "When I strike out a lot of guys, I throw a lot of pitches and I tend to come out of the game a little earlier. When I can get groundballs and early contact, that usually means I'm going seven or eight innings."

Harrell led the major leagues in walks (88) last season and topped the AL in losses (17). He's competing with Dallas Keuchel, Jerome Williams and Brad Peacock for a rotation job.

Continue reading this story on the...