The stretch that runs east and west between Broadway and Robinson long appeared to be just one park and many locals referred to then entire area as Kerr Park.
Kerr Park was built by nearby Kerr-McGee in the early 1970s on what was a surface parking lot. The adjoining but lesser known Couch Drive Park was built in the mid-1930s with aspirations to span the stretch between the County Courthouse at Harvey Avenue and Broadway. The park is named after the city's first mayor, William L. Couch.
At first, the plan appeared to proceeding as envisioned, though slowly. Early day renderings showed a series of monuments throughout the stretch, which was built along what was the former Rock Island Railroad right of way that was removed to also make way for the Oklahoma County Courthouse, City Hall, the Civic Center Music Hall and the Oklahoma City Police headquarters and jail.
The park plan, however, never fully matched the original vision, and construction of Leadership Square at Robinson resulted in an enclosed atrium blocking off the park and creating a small surviving stub at the west end where the 45th Infantry monument stood. With that area resembling more of a service alley than a park, the monument was ultimately moved to the 45th Infantry Museum a few years ago.
Another monument at the east end, the anchor from the U.S.S. Oklahoma that stood in front of the Skirvin Hilton Hotel, was also relocated a few years ago to Broadway Drive.
The Pioneers of 1889 statue and the Air Force Monument are the only vestiges left of the old Couch Drive Park.
Officially Licensed Sports Gear! Shop 1000's of NFL Team Products.