Share “India extends ban on departure of Italian...”

India extends ban on departure of Italian envoy

Published on NewsOK Modified: March 18, 2013 at 8:09 am •  Published: March 18, 2013
Advertisement

NEW DELHI (AP) — India's Supreme Court on Monday indefinitely extended its order barring the Italian ambassador from leaving the country and rejected his explanation of his country's refusal to return two Italian marines charged with killing two Indian fishermen.

Ambassador Daniele Mancini had given the Indian court a written promise the men would return to India by March 22. Last week Italy announced the men would not go back. The court then barred Mancini from leaving India and asked him to explain his position.

Chief Justice Altamas Kabir responded angrily on Monday when Mancini, through his lawyer, said his promise represented his government's position, which had changed. Kabir said Mancini's pledge was a personal one, and he had violated it.

"We never expected the Italian government to act in this manner," Kabir said.

Mancini also cited his own diplomatic immunity in opposing the court's order. The next court hearing is set for April 2.

The dispute has damaged relations between India and Italy. Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has said there will be consequences if Italy does not return the two marines. On Monday, India's Foreign Ministry said "the entire expanse of our relations with Italy" was being reviewed.

Continue reading this story on the...