Covering the fair can be challenging
I ran into the Food Dude at the Oklahoma State Fair on Thursday.
His real name is Dave Cathey. You've probably seen his videos online or read his stories in The Oklahoman. He's our resident gourmand, a big-hearted guy with a real love of food. He reviews restaurants, judges cooking contests and makes elaborate Mexican meals.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all 12 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Basically, he's the anti-Ken 2.0.
When I saw him, he was about to interview Amber Vandewarker, who sells chocolate-covered bacon at the fair.
You heard that right: chocolate-
Vandewarker immediately offered me some of it. I declined. "Are you sure?" she asked. "It's really good."
I didn't want to take the chance that she was right. Mind you, it sounds disgusting. I'm quite fond of chocolate on its own, and like most fat men, I've lost myself in bacon's salty embrace many times in the past. It was the idea of combining the two treats that seemed revolting.
The point is, I'll never know if it was good or not, because I didn't try it. Not even when she offered a third time.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 36901Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 36295Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32626Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8549Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5487OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4132Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 4021Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad