Oklahoma State basketball: Cowboys can still win Big 12 championship
After tough overtime loss to Kansas, Oklahoma State has to move on and beat West Virginia
STILLWATER — Through all the disappointment and regret rummaging around Oklahoma State's locker room Wednesday night, an urgency emerged.
Videoview all videos
Feb 21The Cowboys hit the road on Saturday to take on the...
Feb 21Marcus Smart and Michael Cobbins fouled out late and OSU...
Photoview all 52 photos
An urgency to get back to winning the Big 12 basketball championship.
Yes, the double-overtime, 68-67 loss to Kansas was a blow to such hopes, leaving the Cowboys a full game behind the Jayhawks and Kansas State with five games to play in the regular season.
But a death blow it was not.
“Is it too late?” Markel Brown fired back at reporters assessing Wednesday's damage. “We're still going to go into practice and fight for the No. 1 spot.
“It's not too late.”
Late, yes. But too late?
The Cowboys stand 9-4 in the Big 12, trailing KU and K-State at 10-3.
OSU's closing schedule is favorable, although a trip to Iowa State on March 6 rates as a stiff challenge. The Cowboys also visit West Virginia on Saturday and TCU on Wednesday, with home games against Texas and K-State.
Kansas must go to Ames, too, as well as to Baylor, but also will be heavily favored at home against TCU, West Virginia and Texas Tech.
The Wildcats get Texas Tech and TCU at home, yet face road tests at Texas, Baylor and OSU.
Clearly, the Cowboys need help. And they can't afford any slip-ups.
The Mountaineers are just 6-7 in the league and haven't beaten any of the Big 12's top six teams. They have, however, come close, losing by one at home to Kansas State, two at Iowa State and five at home to Kansas.
This is a delicate time for OSU, coming off an emotional five-day span that included two physical battles — a Bedlam win and a bitter KU defeat — the end of a seven-game winning streak and a combined three overtime periods.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11641Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11150Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7793Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7658Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4653Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4189OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3570Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit