Cowboys edge Sooners in this Bedlam battle
American Propane, 7401 N Broadway, recently hosted our first Bedlam Tailgating Showdown, and Bart Towne of Stillwater brought home the gold on behalf of the Cowboys.
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
Towne grilled his strips whole, serving them on grilled baguette slices with scalloped potatoes and the green beans to end all green beans. The Kingfisher clan also had "Cowboys"-branded sausages, peanut butter cake and grilled jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese and wrapped in bacon.
In the end, judgment came down to the wire. If Towne's offerings scored a 10, Kirn's scored a 9.9.
In six weeks and three visits to each campus, I met an incredible procession of people. Fans disagree on color scheme and fight song, but I found a lot more similarities than differences — hospitality being the No. 1 common denominator. Passion was plentiful. Community couldn't be stronger. And there are tons and tons of cooking talent. Both Kirn and Towne displayed the overall tailgate we were looking for: great food, great spirit and an atmosphere that was fit for fans of all ages.
Each showed the devotion, precision and class during the competition that confirmed we'd made the right choices.
The surprising Cowboys are on a collision course with their first Big 12 Championship Game, and the only thing between them is the Sooners. Before that game, Boone Pickens Stadium will be surrounded by thousands of tailgaters â€” mostly in orange, but plenty in crimson and cream.
I know the Kingfisher clan has invited the Schooner to tailgate at their side on the corner of Athletic and Hester. The gang was a little reticent as they had drawn some ire in past tailgates in Stillwater, but it would be a shame if they can't make it.
I can guarantee that no matter if you're orange down to your underwear, there's no way you wouldn't be welcome and no way you'd walk away anything but impressed. You've got a championship tailgater from Stillwater by way of Kingfisher who's got their back.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 72395Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14464Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8451Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7239How to help tornado victims
- 6453Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6316Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6292Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community