Oklahoma State wrestling: Cowboys prohibitive favorite heading into National Duals
STILLWATER — Don't mistake John Smith's confidence as arrogance.
The Oklahoma State wrestling coach was unflinching when responding to questions about the National Duals North Regional the Cowboys will compete in Sunday in Kent, Ohio, with the winner advancing to the NWCA Mat Mayhem final round in Minneapolis.
Of the four teams Oklahoma State will face — Kent State, Northern Iowa and Wisconsin — none quite match up to the Cowboys' resume. OSU enters the dual qualifier with a No. 1 seed and national ranking as the last undefeated program in the country.
“I don't see a threat,” Smith said. “You don't want to be overconfident, but at this point, the teams that are there have got some good wrestlers; there's going to be some good matchups. But we'll do well if we wrestle. That could change quickly. Anybody can be in a match if you're competing at a high level.”
As is the norm for a Smith-coached team in Stillwater, sights are ultimately set on the NCAA Championships in March. But that doesn't mean the Cowboys will lack focus this weekend. With eight wrestlers ranked inside the top 15 of their respective weight class, the National Duals are a chance to test their skills against elite talent outside the Big 12.
“The National Duals do two things for you,” Smith said. “One, more than likely you're going to hit competition that you're going to see in the quarterfinals and the semifinals of the national tournament. You get to see them, and you get a feel for where you're at and what you need to do individually. And two, it gives you an opportunity to do good things for your program. When you win this event, it's a plus — in recruiting and every way as you go down the stretch.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 13571Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11780Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5526Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5480Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4547OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4292Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4042How to help tornado victims