Cubs beat Astros 5-4 in Houston's NL finale
Houston finished its NL tenure with 3,999 regular-season wins, 4,134 losses and five ties. The Astros are moving to the AL West next season, creating three divisions of five teams in each league.
The Astros were 16-25 under interim manager Tony DeFrancesco, who took over after Brad Mills was fired on Aug. 18. Washington third base coach Bo Porter already has been hired as Houston's manager for next season.
"It's going to be a game I'll always remember," DeFrancesco said of his last gig at the helm of the Astros. "I just went around to everybody and thanked them for everything they did. I appreciate it. They're ready to go home. It's been a long season."
Justin Maxwell hit a tying, three-run homer for Houston in the eighth off Shawn Camp.
Gonzalez gave up four runs, five hits and four walks in 3 1-3 innings. Houston pitched 28 consecutive scoreless innings before LaHair's homer in the second.
Most of the Cubs' regulars were given the day off. The exception, Starlin Castro, became the first player in franchise history to play shortstop in all 162 games, and the first major leaguer to do it since Philadelphia's Jimmy Rollins in 2007. Castro's 195 consecutive games played is the longest active streak in the NL.
NOTES: The Cubs dismissed third base coach Pat Listach after the game. . Chicago drew 2,882,756 fans to Wrigley Field, the first time under 3 million since 2003. ... Cubs OF Alfonso Soriano said he is open to being traded in the offseason if the Cubs don't plan on contending the next two years. "I just want to have one more shot to go to the World Series before I (retire)," Soriano said. The 36-year-old said he will seriously consider retiring when his contract expires after the 2014 season. He is slated to make $18 million each of the next two seasons.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 100558Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15302OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13338Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8709Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8075Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8036How to help tornado victims
- 7986Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort