Darrell Royal and the Bud Wilkinson coaching tree
THE LIST — A look at the eight former Bud Wilkinson players who became college football head coaches.
Darrell Royal's death this week reminded us just how successful were Bud Wilkinson players as college head coaches. Here are eight:
1. Darrell Royal: 184-60-5 in 23 seasons. Royal was 12-8 at Mississippi State (1954-55), 5-5 at Washington (1956) and 167-47-5 at Texas (1957-76).
NewsOK Related Articles
2. Jim Owens: 99-82-6 in 18 years at Washington (1957-74), including back-to-back 10-1 seasons in 1959-60.
3. Eddie Crowder: 67-49-2 in 11 years at Colorado (1963-73), including a 10-2 season and the No. 3 ranking in 1971.
4. Jack Mitchell: 72-61-7 in 14 seasons. Mitchell was 13-5-1 at Wichita State (1953-54), 17-12-1 at Arkansas (1955-57) and 42-44-4 at Kansas (1958-66).
5. Dee Andros: 62-80-2 in 14 seasons. Andros was 11-16-1 at Idaho (1962-64) and 51-64-1 at Oregon State (1965-75).
6. Wade Walker: 22-32-2 in six seasons at Mississippi State (1956-61).
7. Jerry Pettibone: 46-84-2 in 12 years. Pettibone was 33-32-1 at Northern Illinois (1985-90) and 13-52-1 at Oregon State (1991-96).
8. Pete Tillman: 11-8-1 in two seasons at Wichita State (1955-56).
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims