Darrell Royal and the Bud Wilkinson coaching tree
THE LIST — A look at the eight former Bud Wilkinson players who became college football head coaches.
Darrell Royal's death this week reminded us just how successful were Bud Wilkinson players as college head coaches. Here are eight:
1. Darrell Royal: 184-60-5 in 23 seasons. Royal was 12-8 at Mississippi State (1954-55), 5-5 at Washington (1956) and 167-47-5 at Texas (1957-76).
NewsOK Related Articles
2. Jim Owens: 99-82-6 in 18 years at Washington (1957-74), including back-to-back 10-1 seasons in 1959-60.
3. Eddie Crowder: 67-49-2 in 11 years at Colorado (1963-73), including a 10-2 season and the No. 3 ranking in 1971.
4. Jack Mitchell: 72-61-7 in 14 seasons. Mitchell was 13-5-1 at Wichita State (1953-54), 17-12-1 at Arkansas (1955-57) and 42-44-4 at Kansas (1958-66).
5. Dee Andros: 62-80-2 in 14 seasons. Andros was 11-16-1 at Idaho (1962-64) and 51-64-1 at Oregon State (1965-75).
6. Wade Walker: 22-32-2 in six seasons at Mississippi State (1956-61).
7. Jerry Pettibone: 46-84-2 in 12 years. Pettibone was 33-32-1 at Northern Illinois (1985-90) and 13-52-1 at Oregon State (1991-96).
8. Pete Tillman: 11-8-1 in two seasons at Wichita State (1955-56).
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 24523Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15852Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10645Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9696Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9156Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8753Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8578Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena