Darvish goes over 200Ks as Rangers rookie
ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) — Texas Rangers right-hander Yu Darvish has recorded the 200th strikeout of his debut season in the major leagues.
Darvish became the first major league rookie to reach that mark since Daisuke Matsuzaka struck out 201 batters for Boston in 2007.
After Seattle right fielder Carlos Peguero led off the fifth with a strikeout, Darvish's fourth of the game and 200th of the season, the Japanese star quickly added to that total.
Trayvon Robinson took a called third strike and Munenori Kawasaki struck out swinging to end the inning, missing a 94-mph pitch right after taking a 62-mph curveball over the plate.
The 26-year-old Darvish came to the Rangers this season after seven seasons in Japan, where he was a two-time Pacific League MVP.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 56551Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 34585Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32288Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 9582Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 8789Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5674Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 3757OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins