Dave Ramsey: Loan debt can permanently damage relationships
Going into a marriage with substantial student-loan debt requires a serious conversation about how the couple will work together to pay what they owe.
DEAR ANTHONY: In my mind, they don't have a say in what happens or who attends if they don't contribute. I understand how your parents feel, though. How nice the ceremony is or who's invited can be a painful discussion, but in this case their opinions should only count as long as they fall within the confines of your budget.
Be courteous and gentle when you explain how much you've budgeted and what that means in terms of who can come, how many are there, and just how fancy this event will be. Now, it would be really nice to involve your fiancee's mother in the planning. But at the end of the day, she does not make decisions. Make sure you involve them and their opinions, but it's you and your bride-to-be who have the power.
I know your parents love you, and they want it to be a wonderful day for everyone. But this is your wedding, not theirs. And by the way, this would be a really good time to consider premarital counseling. It amazes me how many people enter into a lifelong commitment without talking and thinking things through. And part of that should be you guys getting on the same page as to how you're going to handle interfering in-laws. You both obviously have some.
Email questions for Dave Ramsey to firstname.lastname@example.org. For more financial advice, go online to www.daveramsey.com or call (888) 227-3223.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 18669Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9301Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7759Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6777UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6498Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6417Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed