David Lingmerth wins Web.com Tour event
POTOMAC, Md. (AP) — Sweden's David Lingmerth won the Web.com Tour's Neediest Kids Championship on Sunday to wrap up a 2013 PGA Tour card, closing with a 4-under 66 in cold and damp conditions for a one-stroke victory over Casey Wittenberg.
Lingmerth finished at 8-under 272 at TPC Potomac at Avenel Farm and earned $108,000 to jump from 27th to seventh on the money list with $249,043, more than enough to guarantee a top-25 finish.
"It feels fantastic," the 25-year-old former Arkansas player said "I've been working my whole life for an opportunity to play with the big boys. This is huge because I've been close a few times. It took me a little while, but this feels great."
Wittenberg shot a 69, missing a 40-foot birdie try by inches on the final hole. He earned $64,800 to regain the money lead with $407,453 with three events left.
Lingmerth won his first professional title.
"I was really calm all day," he said. "You've really got to golf your ball out here. The key ingredient this week was that I finally got to make some putts. I knew I wasn't putting up to my ability this year and I finally found a feeling that I like."
The temperature barely cracked 50 degrees.
"I was actually fist-pumping in the car coming over this morning," he said. "I knew it was going to be lousy weather. This is a good day in Sweden."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14605Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9594Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8537Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8009Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6980Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6486Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6299Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister