Debt, fiscal irresponsibility are our biggest threat
In a time when we face huge federal budget deficits and a grossly increasing debt, how can we not be talking about serious defense cuts? We've used the war on terror as an excuse to throw money at the defense industry at unprecedented levels. In 2000 our defense budget was just over $200 billion. In 2011 it was nearly $700 billion. We spend more on defense than the next 20 highest-spending countries of the world. We spend five times more than our supposed biggest threats — China, Iran, North Korea and al-Qaida — combined.
NewsOK Related Articles
We're still building submarines that cost $2 billion each and fighter aircraft that cost more than $300 million per plane. The F-22 is the most advanced fighter the world has ever seen and the most expensive. But we have no one to fight with it! Even with our older aircraft we could take on all of the air forces of the world and have air superiority in two weeks.
How can we not be talking about serious cuts to defense spending? President Obama has proposed nearly nothing in significant defense cuts. Mitt Romney has proposed increased defense spending. Somehow we've managed to equate higher defense spending with patriotism. Nothing could be further from the truth! The biggest threat to this nation's security isn't China, Iran or al-Qaida. Our biggest threat is us — our debt and our fiscal irresponsibility.
Richard Westmoreland, Edmond
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 14605Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9594Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8537Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8009Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6980Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6486Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6299Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister