Driver indicted after illegal immigrant died in Oklahoma wreck

Houston man said he fell asleep driving on Interstate 35 on Oct. 21 and one passenger in the vehicle died.
by Nolan Clay Modified: December 15, 2013 at 10:00 am •  Published: December 15, 2013
Advertisement
;

PERRY — For the 1,500-mile ride from Houston to Los Angeles last October, the 12 illegal immigrants had been crammed into a 2004 black Suburban with their driver and another man.

Some sat in the very back, where there were no seats.

One later acknowledged he paid $400 for his spot.

Their trip ended not in sunny California but in northern Oklahoma when the driver fell asleep on Interstate 35 the morning of Oct. 21.

The Suburban rolled over one-and-a-half times inside the median and ended up on its top about a mile south of Perry, the Oklahoma Highway Patrol reported. One passenger, Oscar Francisco Rodos-Molina, 18, of El Salvador, was killed.

Only the driver, Jonathan Rene Martinez, 26, of Houston, was wearing a seat belt, the highway patrol reported.

Last week, a federal grand jury in Oklahoma City indicted the driver on six felony counts of transporting an illegal immigrant.

Martinez is accused in five counts of transporting an illegal immigrant in a way that recklessly created a substantial risk of death. He is accused in the final count of transporting an illegal immigrant in a way that resulted in death.

He faces up to 20 years in federal prison on each of the first five counts and death or life in prison on the final count.

Authorities are looking for an alleged accomplice, Jose Heriberto Lopez-Rosas, 42, of Houston, who disappeared from an Oklahoma hospital despite suffering serious injuries in the rollover accident. The second man also is known as Ricky Martin-Guzman.

Martinez is being held on a second-degree murder charge in the Noble County jail. District Attorney Brian Hermanson said he will drop the murder case and let federal prosecutors proceed with their case against Martinez.

“The guy that instigated all this and who is really responsible for all this is the one who disappeared out of the hospital in Oklahoma City. It was his vehicle or his people's vehicle,” said Sarah Kennedy, who is Martinez's court-appointed attorney in the murder case.


NewsOK.com has disabled the comments for this article.
by Nolan Clay
Sr. Reporter
Nolan Clay was born in Oklahoma and has worked as a reporter for The Oklahoman since 1985. He covered the Oklahoma City bombing trials and witnessed bomber Tim McVeigh's execution. His investigative reports have brought down public officials,...
+ show more


Trending Now


AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    Tulsa minister charged in $930,000 scheme might have embezzled more
  2. 2
    Nick Cannon Confirms He And Wife Mariah Carey Are Living Apart
  3. 3
    School Required Reading That Will Change Your Life
  4. 4
    OSU basketball: Cowboys release complete schedule
  5. 5
    An Oklahoma program treats juvenile sex offenders as kids, not criminals
+ show more