Declaration allows claims adjusters temporary licensing in Oklahoma to react to storm damage

State Insurance Commissioner John D. Doak's emergency declaration clears way for insurers to bring in additional claims adjusters.
by Don Mecoy Published: May 31, 2012

After Tuesday's damaging storms and in anticipation of more in the forecast, Oklahoma Insurance Commissioner John D. Doak on Wednesday cleared the way for insurance companies to bring in additional claims adjusters.

Doak's emergency declaration enables emergency claims adjusters to be licensed temporarily to expedite the insurance claims process and provide immediate assistance.

The move, Doak said, is designed “to help storm victims get the help they need quickly.”

Strong winds, hail and several tornadoes left damage across much of the state. Insurance officials had no preliminary estimate of the insured losses.

Doak urged Oklahomans to be cautious in their response to damaged property.

“First and foremost, make sure you and your family are safe,” Doak said. “Don't make a bad situation worse by putting yourself in danger while assessing damage. Be especially careful of downed power lines, broken glass, exposed nails and other debris.”

State Attorney General Scott Pruitt warned residents in areas damaged by Tuesday's severe storms to be on guard for home repair schemes and charity fraud that typically follow in the wake of weather damage.

“We know from past experience that this type of damage attracts criminals looking for ways to take advantage of Oklahomans,” Pruitt said. “We're getting the message out now so people can be aware of such quick-fix schemes and spread the word to neighbors and family members before they become victims.”

by Don Mecoy
Business Editor
Business Editor Don Mecoy has covered business news for more than a decade after earlier working on The Oklahoman's city, state and metro news desks, including a stint as city editor. He has won state and regional journalism awards for business,...
+ show more


Dealing with property damage

Call your insurance company or agent with your policy number and all relevant information as soon as possible. Ask what forms, documents and information you will need to provide to process your claim.

Take photos or video of the damage.

Make necessary repairs to prevent further damage to the property (for instance, covering broken windows, leaking roofs and damaged walls), but do not have permanent repairs made until your insurance company has inspected the property and you have reached an agreement with them on the cost of appropriate repairs.

Save receipts, including those from temporary repairs that might be covered by your insurance policy.

If your home is uninhabitable, ask your insurance provider if you have coverage for living expenses incurred while repairs are being made. Save all receipts to document those costs.

SOURCE: Oklahoma Insurance Department

Trending Now


  1. 1
    Report: Caron Butler close to two-year deal with Detroit Pistons
  2. 2
    It’s harder to be a poor student in the U.S. than in Russia
  3. 3
    Man fatally stabbed in west Tulsa early Sunday
  4. 4
    How brain imaging can be used to predict the stock market
  5. 5
    Bridenstine tours Fort Sill, satisfied with facility's transparency
+ show more