Deco may sue after being cleared of doping

Published on NewsOK Modified: May 29, 2014 at 3:18 pm •  Published: May 29, 2014
Advertisement
;

SAO PAULO (AP) — Former Portugal international Deco said Thursday he may file a lawsuit against WADA and the Brazilian laboratory that said he tested positive for doping last year.

Deco, who retired from the game last August, was cleared of doping by the Court of Arbitration for Sport this week and his one-year ban imposed last September was annulled by FIFA and the Brazilian football federation.

The doping tests that led to his conviction were conducted by Rio de Janeiro laboratory Ladetec, which lost its accreditation by the World Anti-Doping Agency and has since been suspended from World Cup testing.

"If there was a mistake, both WADA and Ladetec are responsible for it," the Brazilian-born player said in a statement on Thursday, noting that the laboratory was still accredited by the anti-doping agency when he was tested.

Deco said the doping conviction "may have helped anticipate" the end of his career. He was initially suspended one month by Brazil's sports tribunal in early 2013, but in a second trial last September, after he had retired, the player was banned for a year.

"I lost contracts, I lost a lot of things. This can't happen because of a mistake," Deco said. "I was significantly affected by this. I will talk to my lawyers and we will decide what we will do."

The 36-year-old Deco allegedly tested positive for two banned substances after playing in a Rio state championship match for Fluminense. His samples were re-tested in Switzerland and CAS said in its ruling on Tuesday that "it could not be established" that the player committed any anti-doping rule violation.

Continue reading this story on the...