Deer Creek celebrates construction milestone for performing arts and athletic center
Deer Creek School District's $24.5 million state-of-the-art performing arts and athletic center should be finished in 2013, officials said.
A steel beam was hoisted atop the Deer Creek Performing Arts and Athletic Center on Tuesday, marking the final stages of exterior construction for the 122,000-square-foot building.
The $24.5 million center will be a space for band and orchestra, drama and speech, pom and cheerleading, basketball, volleyball, vocal music and other arts and athletics.
School Board President David Miller said excitement for the new center is palpable.
“People are just saying ‘wow.' ... It will be a community centerpiece,” he said.
The 1,500-seat performing arts auditorium at 20701 N MacArthur Blvd. will include a multipurpose room, sound booth, stage, orchestra pit, catwalk, service space with an overhead door, scenery and costume shop, drama room, dressing rooms, performers' lounge, and band and vocal music rooms with practice rooms, libraries and office space.
The athletic facility will seat 2,500 people and will have an elevator, offices, training area, lockers, storage space, and laundry and conference rooms.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims