Deer Creek parents express concerns about new elementary
Parents in the Deer Creek School District met at Church of the Servant on Thursday to talk about Spring Creek Elementary School.
The first of two parent forums about Deer Creek's newest elementary school yielded many questions, the most pressing being whether the school will open on time.
Another meeting set
Parents will have another chance to express concerns at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Coffee Creek Baptist Church, 1650 Coffee Creek Road. The meeting will follow the same style as Thursday's and run until 8 p.m.
About 50 parents gathered Thursday at Church of the Servant to meet with school board members and administrators about the new campus and the redistricting proposals.
Spring Creek Elementary is scheduled to open in the fall as the district's fifth elementary, which will prompt a relocation of more than 15 percent of the elementary students.
A redistricting task force has drawn up two plans, one of which is scheduled to be chosen by the board early next month.
School board Vice President Danny Barnes said contractors expect to finish the building in early July, but Barnes said the board is pushing for an earlier completion date.
Parents asked what administrators have planned in case the school is not ready to open.
Superintendent Bill White said a backup plan would put classes at an alternate site until Spring Creek could be finished.
“All the teachers and students would move as a unit,” White said.
The redistricting is the second in three years, and several parents asked whether their children would have the option of staying at their present schools.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 36528Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32802Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32453Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8406Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5462OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3890Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 3494College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals