Del City rallies back to beat Putnam City
Quarterback Chazten Gonzales helps Eagles recover from 18-point deficit
NewsOK Related Articles
The defining play, though, was a block.
Greg Johnson broke free, but Putnam City defender Cody Minor had the angle on Johnson inside the 5.
That's when Gonzales sprinted into the picture, leveling Minor and springing Johnson free to complete the touchdown run.
"I saw Greg break free and knew I had to go make a block," Gonzales said. "Every game this season we've started off slow. We needed to finish one and tonight we did that.
"This is a big boost for us."
Johnson said he saw Gonzales closing the gap and slowed up a bit to give him time to make the block.
"That was a huge play," Johnson said. "We faced adversity and didn't back down. To beat a team like this in a game like that, it's going to help us out a lot."
Johnson finished with 10 carries for 107 yards.
Curtis finished with 33 carries for 204 yards and four touchdowns, but it wasn't enough to keep Putnam City undefeated.
"Our defense made just enough plays," Gonzales said. "They came through when we needed them."
Bryce Freeman capped the win with a 30-yard fumble return for a touchdown with less than two minutes left.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 39102Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15291Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9778Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9437Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9040Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7843Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7624Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister