Del Piero choosing between Sydney and Southampton
TURIN, Italy (AP) — Former Juventus forward Alessandro Del Piero is preparing to make a decision on his future, with Sydney FC and English Premier League club Southampton reportedly his final options.
Sydney FC chief executive Tony Pignata met for two hours Monday in Turin with Del Piero's brother and agent, Stefano, the Gazzetta dello Sport reported Tuesday.
Stefano Del Piero told the Gazzetta that the Sydney offer of a reported $2 million per season is "a valid option and a concrete proposal," adding that they need to "discuss details."
Meanwhile, Southampton has offered a two-year deal worth €1 million ($1.26 million) plus bonuses per season, the Gazzetta reported.
In Australia, the 37-year-old Del Piero would become a football ambassador, while in England he could continue to compete at the game's highest level.
Southampton could desperately use Del Piero, having opened the season with three losses to sit last in the Premier League.
Juventus announced early last season that it would not renew Del Piero's contract and he had also been linked with moves to the Middle East, China, Argentina, the United States and Switzerland.
Stefano Del Piero acknowledged meetings with Swiss club FC Sion, but Sion president Christian Constantin told the Gazzetta that "for the moment he's not ready to join us."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 10886Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10691Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9835Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9009Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5206Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4290Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3855OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M