Del Piero makes low-key A-League debut
WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) — Alessandro Del Piero took his first tentative steps in Australian football on the losing team on Saturday as his Sydney FC club was beaten 2-0 by the Wellington Phoenix in the opening round of the 10-team A-League.
Though short on match fitness, the 37-year-old former Juventus and Italy star played a full 90 minutes in a low-key debut that may not have lived up to the anticipation generated by his arrival in the A-League as its costliest and most high-profile signing.
Del Piero started up front for Sydney but generally dropped back into midfield and provided a series of classy touches in a team that was substantially outplayed. He had unthreatening shots on goal in the 13th and 76th minutes, but hinted at much better things to come when his fitness improves.
"I am not satisfied — we lost," Del Piero said. "But it was the first match. We need to do hard training, day by day, and think of the next game. After 10 matches, we can talk in general, but not now.
"I'm OK. I played 90 minutes but I need to do better. I need to improve. I'm enjoying it, but not for the result."
Saturday's match was played in wet and cool conditions in front of a crowd of 12,057 fans in a 34,500-capacity stadium that recently hosted a rugby test between New Zealand and Argentina.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13258OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 7144Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7131Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6694Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6025Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5256Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5146Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers