Del Potro advances to 3rd round at Australian Open
MELBOURNE, Australia (AP) — Juan Martin del Potro has defeated Benjamin Becker 6-2, 6-4, 6-2 to advance to the third round of the Australian Open without dropping a set.
The 2009 U.S. Open champion is one of only four men left in the draw with a Grand Slam title, along with Roger Federer, Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic.
The sixth-seeded del Potro had 22 aces and 50 winners Thursday night against the overmatched Becker, who had just one breakpoint chance in the match.
Del Potro last year equaled his best result at the Australian Open by making the quarterfinals, where he lost to Federer.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 96630Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 13870Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9391Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8546Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 8291OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 7627How to help tornado victims
- 7193Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges