Democrat wins close vote in Tulsa House race
An Oklahoma Democrat won Tuesday's special House District 71 election for the first time in eight years. But it was close. Dan Arthrell won by three votes over Katie Henke, according to unofficial results from the state Election Board.
A Democrat won Tuesday's special House District 71 election for the first time in eight years. But it was close.
Dan Arthrell won by three votes over Katie Henke, according to unofficial results from the state Election Board.
With all 16 precincts reporting, Arthrell received 1,416 votes, or 50.1 percent, while Henke got 1,413 votes, or 49.9 percent.
The state Election Board will meet next week to certify the results. About 13 of the registered voters in the district turned out Tuesday to vote in the House District 71 race, the only issue on the ballot.
“This sends a message ... that every single person who voted in this race, every single one of them, made a difference,” said Arthrell, 65, who sought his first elective office. “I'm astounded.”
Arthrell said he plans to take his oath of office April 11. He plans to file for election for the full two-year term for House District 71 that starts in November. The three-day filing period for that and other legislative seats is April 11-13.
“I am going to do the best job for this district that they have ever had,” Arthrell said. “I will represent each and every one — Republican and Democrat.”
This is the second Democratic House victory this year; Rep. Curtis McDan
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10710Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10389Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10187Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9807Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6458Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4074Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4073Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes