Democrats' words don't negate record
Oklahoma Democrats are attacking legislative Republicans, portraying them as marauders who pilfer middle-class opportunity. Given the Democratic Party's national record, a psychiatrist might see projection (a defense mechanism, operating unconsciously) embedded in that critique.
NewsOK Related Articles
In recent weeks, Oklahoma Democrats have decried Republican bills as an assault on the poor and middle class. Rep. Emily Virgin, D-Norman, described a measure tweaking eligibility for Oklahoma's Promise scholarships as “another way to limit the upward mobility of Oklahoma families.” In another press release, House Democrats said a bill earmarking some Temporary Assistance to Needy Families funds for pro-marriage initiatives was “starving the needy.”
Yet these same Democratic legislators are silent about the fact that under President Barack Obama, their party leader, the rich are getting richer and everyone else is losing ground.
This became obvious when the stock market recently hit a new high. Estimates indicate Americans have regained $16 trillion in wealth lost to the Great Recession. Unfortunately for Democrats, The Associated Press notes that the recovered wealth is mostly “from higher stock prices” and “has been flowing mainly to richer Americans.” The wealthiest 10 percent of households own 80 percent of stocks. And many experts tie the stock market's performance to Federal Reserve actions, including its commitment to extremely low interest rates — which, incidentally, punish middle-class families who save.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 12604Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10239Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9732Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6670Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4240Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates