Derek Fisher: Former Lakers guard to sign with Oklahoma City Thunder upon clearing waivers
THUNDER — In the midst of a post All-Star break slump, the Oklahoma City Thunder adds championship experience and clutch shooting by signing five-time NBA champion Derek Fisher.
Derek Fisher will sign with the Oklahoma City Thunder after he clears waivers Wednesday, according to a published report.
Fisher and the Thunder have agreed to a contract for the rest of the season, according to ESPN's Mark Stein. The Thunder has called a news conference prior to its 7 p.m. game Wednesday against the Los Angeles Clippers at Chesapeake Energy Arena.
Videoview all videos
Mar 21In the midst of a post All-Star break slump, the Oklahoma...
Photoview all 16 photos
To acquire Fisher, the former Los Angeles Lakers guard, the Thunder outbid the Miami Heat, which could offer only the veteran minimum salary. According to ESPN, the Thunder had approximately $3 million remaining of its mid-level exception, and offered a portion of it to Fisher.
Fisher, who in his 16th NBA season, surrendered the $3.4 million he was owed next season after being traded last week to Houston in order to gain a buyout from the Rockets and be able to pick a contender to join for the playoff run.
The acquisition of Fisher comes as the Thunder has lost four of eight and gone 7-5 since the All-Star break, frequently struggling to score in its half-court offense at the end of games. Fisher, who won five NBA titles with the Lakers, is a clutch shooter and proven floor leader. The 37-year-old Little Rock, Ark. native's defensive skills, however, have waned in recent years.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
VIDEOS FROM NBA TV
Buy Tickets View all
- 46837Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15035Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9615Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8305Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8125Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7398Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 7351Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena