DeRosa gets $775,000, 1-year deal from Blue Jays
Mark DeRosa has agreed to a $775,000, one-year contract with Toronto, giving the Blue Jays more infield and outfield depth as they try for their first playoff berth since 1993.
DeRosa gets a $750,000 salary this year under Tuesday's deal, and the Blue Jays have a $750,000 option for 2014 with a $25,000 buyout.
The 37-year-old hit .188 with five doubles and six RBIs in 48 games last season for the Washington Nationals, playing all four infield positions and both corner outfield spots.
He has a .270 average with 93 homers and 458 RBIs in 15 seasons with Atlanta (1988-04), Texas (2005-06), the Chicago Cubs (2007-08), Cleveland (2009), St. Louis (2009), San Francisco (2010-11) and Washington.
Right-hander Sam Dyson was designated for assignment to clear a roster spot.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort