Destiny Christian's Shaun Edwards starts to receive recruiting interest
The 6-foot-7, 315-pound lineman is hearing from Kansas and Houston. His profile increased after he decided to get quicker in the offseason.
DEL CITY — Shaun Edwards knew this season was his final chance to prove something.
The 6-foot-7, 315-pound Destiny Christian senior hadn't always worked his hardest on the football field, but he changed that before this season.
Photoview all 21 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“Some of the college coaches told me the biggest thing they look for in a lineman is their footwork and their hands,” Edwards said. “I knew I'd be pulling a lot this year on our pulling plays, so I knew I was going to have to get quicker and work on my footwork to get faster and get my steps down in my pulls.”
Destiny Christian plays the OKC Patriots on Friday in the OCSAA Class 3A state championship at Putnam City West.
Edwards has improved so much that he is starting to receive interest from some of those college coaches, namely ones from Houston and Kansas.
“He's really buckled down and I'm proud of him because last year we had a lot of issues with him knowing when to work and when not to, and he was kind of lazy,” Destiny Christian coach Joe Biddle said. “He's finally realized that this is his year to sign a scholarship with someone, and he's really stepped up and taken on that role.”
Edwards came to Destiny Christian in the seventh grade after attending St. John's Episcopal School.
At one point, as he started to really grow, he wanted to attend a public school, but his grandmother, Shirley, whom he lives with, said no.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 12604Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10239Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9732Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9189Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6670Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4472Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4240Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates