Destiny Christian's Shaun Edwards starts to receive recruiting interest
The 6-foot-7, 315-pound lineman is hearing from Kansas and Houston. His profile increased after he decided to get quicker in the offseason.
DEL CITY — Shaun Edwards knew this season was his final chance to prove something.
The 6-foot-7, 315-pound Destiny Christian senior hadn't always worked his hardest on the football field, but he changed that before this season.
Photoview all 21 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
“Some of the college coaches told me the biggest thing they look for in a lineman is their footwork and their hands,” Edwards said. “I knew I'd be pulling a lot this year on our pulling plays, so I knew I was going to have to get quicker and work on my footwork to get faster and get my steps down in my pulls.”
Destiny Christian plays the OKC Patriots on Friday in the OCSAA Class 3A state championship at Putnam City West.
Edwards has improved so much that he is starting to receive interest from some of those college coaches, namely ones from Houston and Kansas.
“He's really buckled down and I'm proud of him because last year we had a lot of issues with him knowing when to work and when not to, and he was kind of lazy,” Destiny Christian coach Joe Biddle said. “He's finally realized that this is his year to sign a scholarship with someone, and he's really stepped up and taken on that role.”
Edwards came to Destiny Christian in the seventh grade after attending St. John's Episcopal School.
At one point, as he started to really grow, he wanted to attend a public school, but his grandmother, Shirley, whom he lives with, said no.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 77840Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16227OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13741Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 12057Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11953Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 11115Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 11023Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma tornado victims identified