Developments in Britain's child sex-abuse scandal
Oct. 22, 2013: A BBC "Panorama" show airs, with reporters quizzing senior management about why they canned the bombshell program on Savile. BBC says Peter Rippon, "Newsnight" editor, will step aside pending an investigation into his decision to scrap the Savile story. The broadcaster also issues a correction to Rippon's previous blog post, calling it "inaccurate."
Oct. 23, 2013: Entwistle appears before British lawmakers to address the BBC's handling of the Savile crisis. He acknowledged there had been "a problem of culture within the BBC" that allowed Savile's behavior to go unchecked. The BBC also said it is investigating claims of sexual abuse and harassment against nine staff members and contributors, in addition to Savile.
Oct. 25, 2012: Metropolitan Police say there may be 300 potential victims of Savile and his associates as abuse reports increase. Savile is identified as one of the worst sex offenders in British history.
Oct. 28, 2012: Police arrest former glam rock star and convicted sex offender Gary Glitter as part of the investigation into Savile and his associates.
Nov. 2, 2012: BBC's "Newsnight" show broadcasts an expose about child sex abuse in Wales in the 1970s and 1980s that includes allegations about an unnamed senior politician from the Margaret Thatcher era.
Nov. 9, 2012: Alistair McAlpine, a Conservative party member of the House of Lords named in Internet chatter as the culprit, comes forward to deny the charges and threaten legal action against the BBC. The person who made the accusations in the "Newsnight" broadcast, Steve Messham, then apologizes and said it was a case of mistaken identity. BBC apologizes and suspends "Newsnight" investigations.
Nov. 10, 2012: BBC's top executive, director-general George Entwistle, resigns after his attempts to explain and apologize for the situation fail to quell mounting criticism of the flagship broadcaster's handling of the sex abuse scandal.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 22069Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17657Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12691Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 10660Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10002Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9693Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8348OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures