Devon Energy mulling midstream move
Devon Energy Corp. is looking into the possibility of creating a midstream master limited partnership to better reflect the value of its assets.
Womack said Devon's stake in the proposed midstream partnership could be used to fund additional drilling opportunities in areas of higher return, like the oil-rich Permian Basin in west Texas.
“Subsequent sale of more pipelines and processing plants to a partnership could be used to accelerate operations in key fields, and even be used for stock buybacks, creating potential for even more value for shareholders,” he said.
“If they continue to control operations from the sale of these assets, there is little downside in the deal.”
The master limited partnership route has been successful for other state companies, including Williams and Chesapeake Energy Corp.
Chesapeake created Chesapeake Midstream Partners in 2009, selling a 50 percent stake to New York-based private equity firm for nearly $600 million.
Last year, Chesapeake sold its stake in its former subsidiary in a deal that netted a pretax gain of about $1.3 billion, the company's chief financial officer said in Thursday's earnings call.
“Our midstream exit enabled us to redirect the company's strategic focus and capital resources into our upstream oil and gas operations,” Nick Dell'Osso said. “We originally entered the midstream business at a time when the midstream industry's knowledge and appetite for capital growth and unconventional assets was limited.
“Entering midstream proved to be profitable and strategically important.”
Business Photo Galleriesview all
Expanded Chesapeake coverage
Chesapeake coverage on NewsOK:
- 12675Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11502Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6315Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5431Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 5078Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4467OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3964How to help tornado victims