District 2A-2 football preview: Offseason changes paying off for Christian Heritage Academy
One of the biggest differences for Christian Heritage through the first few days of practice has been the amount of work they've been able to do early.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
District 2A-2 coaches' poll
1. Millwood (11-3)
2. OCS (9-3)
3. Christian Heritage (5-5)
4. Luther (5-6)
5. Dibble (8-5)
6. Northeast (3-7)
7. Crooked Oak (1-9)
Note: Last year's records in parentheses
CONRAD SYMPATHIZES WITH LUTHER
Conrad knows what things have been like for Luther coach Shawn Meek in the opening week of practice.
A little more than a year ago, when a tornado came through Dibble, Conrad hit the phones and started calling his players to make sure they were all right.
Meek has been through a similar situation this week with the wildfires in Luther.
“It's tough,” Conrad said. “I can see where he's coming from now. It's not easy but they're going to pull through and be OK. We've definitely been thinking about them.”
LUTHER'S WEATHERS MOVES TO QB
Haskell Browning had been keeping the starting quarterback's seat warm the last couple of seasons, but now, senior Austin Weathers will get his chance to fill the role under new head coach Meek.
Weathers has been playing for the Lions at defensive end and tight end, and he got some spot action at QB last season.
“He's a first-year starter, but he has taken a lot of snaps,” Meek said. “He started a couple games last year when Haskell was out. He has experience. He's a bright kid and a tough kid. If you give me two qualities in a quarterback, I want smart and tough.”
Weathers has a dangerous weapon with him in the backfield in running back Steven Northerton.
“He's gonna have to touch the ball for us a lot,” Meek said. “Steven does a lot of things for us, and we'll try to give him the ball in multiple positions. He's a pretty dynamic kid.”
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21361Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10815Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8633Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8589Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8336Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7789Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7697Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister