District 2A-4 football preview: Tishomingo looks to fill holes on offensive line
Tishomingo looks to plug gap in offensive line
Tishomingo, which finished 2-8 last year, has a few holes to fill if they want to improve their record this season. The team is returning only two starters on its offensive line, something coach Mark Patterson called a challenge for the team.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
District 2A-4 Coaches' Poll 1. Davis (12-1) 2. Coalgate (5-5) 3. Tishomingo (2-8) 4. Kingston (0-10) 5. Marietta (2-8) 6. Konawa (4-5) 7. Antlers (2-8) 2009 record in parentheses
"Some of the younger players are being called upon to be starters, because we're not that deep" he said. "But we have a few guys we feel pretty solid about."
Tackles Joshua Wright and Robert Jones, the line's lone returning starters, will have to step up, Patterson said.
"Those guys will have to be our leaders," he said.
The team's lack of depth has led Patterson to institute a new team policy.
"I made the declaration at football camp that it's against the rules to get hurt this season," he said.
Antlers coach looks to senior for leadership
Antlers coach Mike Zulkey hopes senior halfback Colton Maynard improves on an already-impressive career in his last season.
"He's going to be very important to us," Zulkey said of Maynard, who rushed for more than 1,100 yards last year. "If he goes down, that will definitely hurt us."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 39102Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15291Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9778Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9437Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9040Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7843Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7624Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister