District 2A-7 football preview: Adair will get another shot at Pawhuska
Last season's playoff foes are now in the same district.
District realignment has handed Adair a guaranteed shot at revenge.
After an undefeated run through 2A-8 last football season, the Warriors secured a top seed in the playoffs and held realistic goals of a state title.
District 2A-7 coaches' poll
1. Pawhuska (7-6)
2. Adair (10-1)
3. Chelsea (8-3)
4. Nowata (0-10)
5. Caney Valley (5-5)
6. Oklahoma Union (2-9)
Note: Last season's record in parenthesis
But the dream was quickly cut short, abruptly ending in a stunning 19-13 overtime loss to Pawhuska in the first round.
“I mean, any time you are the one-seed, you expect to win,” Adair coach Mark Lippe said. “But I knew Pawhuska was a good team and they played a good game.”
Now, with lofty expectations heading into the 2012 season, Adair has been reassigned to District 2A-7. And awaiting them as a potential challenger and late-season opponent is the only team that beat them last year.
“We've used that first-round loss to Pawhuska to motivate us this summer to work hard,” Lippe said. “But as far as revenge, the most important game we have is the first game of the season. We can't look down the road.”
BUILT FOR 2012
Over the past few seasons, coach Wade Wolf has rebuilt the Chelsea program.
In 2008, the Dragons were an unimpressive 2-8. By 2011, Wolf had them in the playoffs for a second straight season, double the times they've been there in the past decade.
Next on his checklist – win a playoff game.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 77840Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16227OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13741Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 12057Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11953Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 11115Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 11023Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma tornado victims identified