District 3A-2 football preview: Purcell looking for deep playoff run
Since 2002, the Purcell Dragons have made the playoffs in eight consecutive seasons
But just making it isn't good enough anymore.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
District 3A-2 coaches' poll 1. Madill (10-1) 2. Purcell (9-3) 3. Plainview* (8-3) 4. Pauls Valley (5-6) 5. Sulphur* (6-5) 6. Lone Grove (5-5) 7. Dickson (4-6) *denotes new school to district
Eleventh-year coach Mike Wilson took this team to the state championship game six years ago when they were still in Class 2A, and he wants his players to get a taste of that.
"We'd like to get past that second-round game," Wilson said. "We went to the finals in 2004 and haven't been back to the semifinals since then. But we've been in the second round almost every year, we need to get past that mark.
The second round has been a thorn in the Dragons' side; their season has ended there the past two seasons. And even though District 3A-2 is smaller now, newcomers Plainview and Sulphur were both in the playoffs last season.
Instead of it being three games then a championship, a game has been added to the 3A playoff bracket making it just a little harder.
"A seven-team district probably makes it a little easier to make the playoffs," Wilson said. "But those two teams we traded for are pretty good football team, so I'm not sure if we made a good trade."
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister