District 3A-5 football preview: Cascia Hall still kings, but Berryhill could challenge
The Commandos have been so dominant in the past few years, the only debate in Class 3A is usually who will finish second in the class.
Videoview all videos
Aug 12Guthrie sophmore quarterback Bryan Dutton talks about...
Aug 9Class 3a5 High School Football
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
District 3A-5 coaches' poll 1. Cascia Hall (13-0) 2. Berryhill (11-3) 3. Sperry (8-5) 4. Dewey (8-5) 5. Nowata (3-7) 6. Blackwell (1-9) 7. Kellyville (0-10) 2009 record in parentheses
After three straight state championships not much has changed. Cascia Hall is primed for a fourth consecutive crown, thanks to a defense that could very well be the best in 3A. With stars such as linebacker Conner Sherwood and defensive lineman Hunter Hart, the Commandos may be even better than the 2009 group that allowed just 8.0 points per game.
However, if there's a weak link in Cascia's armor this season its experience. A total of eight starters return, but the team lost its starting quarterback, leading receiver, leading rusher and top offensive lineman.
Berryhill could challenge
With Class 4A state champion Star Spencer dropping into 3A, the Bobcats are thought of as a squad that could half Cascia Hall's string of titles. However, the Commandos won't even have to go out of their district to find another team plenty of folks think could take the gold ball.
Berryhill has the athletes, the numbers and the past success. The question will be confidence. The Chiefs went 11-3 last season — two of those losses coming to Cascia Hall. What's more, Berryhill scored a six points in the two games combined.
Still, the team returns 10 starters from 2009 and has one of the state's top players in any class in Justin Finney. Finney is a 6-3, 270-pound senior who starts on the offensive and defensive lines. He already has a Division I-A offer and has been contacted by Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Missouri and Tulsa.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 57337Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14801Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9259Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7518Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6644Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6577Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6568How to help tornado victims