District 3A-5 football preview: Cascia Hall still kings, but Berryhill could challenge
Videoview all videos
Aug 12Guthrie sophmore quarterback Bryan Dutton talks about...
Aug 9Class 3a5 High School Football
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
District 3A-5 coaches' poll 1. Cascia Hall (13-0) 2. Berryhill (11-3) 3. Sperry (8-5) 4. Dewey (8-5) 5. Nowata (3-7) 6. Blackwell (1-9) 7. Kellyville (0-10) 2009 record in parentheses
After failing to win in its last 20 games, Kellyville will have a fresh start in 2010 as Jason Culler takes over as head coach.
Culler, who is taking the reins as the head man for the first time in his career, will have at least one thing in his favor as the Ponies try to begin an era of success. Kellyville has experienced players all over the field.
Nine starters return on offense, and eight are back on defense. Senior Kenny Anderson will be counted on heavily. The running back/nose guard is just 5-5 and 180 pounds, but, says Culler, Anderson has "A heart as big as Texas."
Beck leads Nowata
In Austin Beck, Nowata has a premier player who could play at any level. The 6-5, 308-pounder already has committed to Arkansas and had offers from the likes of Missouri, Kansas, Baylor and Illinois.
The combination of Beck and linebacker Tim Farris gives the Ironmen a great chance for a winning record and postseason appearance in 2010. The team is coming off a 3-7 record, but has nine starters back on offense and 10 on defense.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 75968Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 30909Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 28067Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 24729Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 6906Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 6904Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 6686Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond