District 3A-7 football preview: Beggs kicker Daniel Bond a game-changer; Victory Christian fills out staff
District 3A-7 Coaches' Poll 1. Checotah (8-3) 2. Roland (6-5) 3. Okmulgee (6-5) 4. Beggs (7-5) 5. Keys (5-5) 6. Victory Christian (0-10) 7. Henryetta (1-9)
"It shows the kids that the school is placing an importance on this program and seeing us do well," he said. "It also helps that the players try to impress the new coaches, so they're working really hard."
Okmulgee coach has big expectations for first year
John Horner is entering into his first season with Okmulgee, which finished 6-5 last season. His first challenge has been teaching his players a new system.
"It's a slow process in the first year, but they've caught on pretty good," he said. "I stress that the big thing is fundamentals and work habits."
One of Horner's first changes was to speed up the tempo of the team's practices.
"The tempo you have in practice sets the tempo you're going to have in a game," he said.
Horner believes his team can compete with anyone, even as they learn a new offense and defense.
"We expect to win every game we line up in," he said.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 15646Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9491Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8139Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7458Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 7219Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6377Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6374Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit