District B-1 football preview: B-1 loaded with Laverne the early favorite; New start at Ringwood
How strong is District B-1? It has three teams which won 12 or more games last season, and none of them are the choice to win the district.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
District B-1 coaches' poll 1. Laverne (8-5) 2. Seiling (13-2) 3. Garber (14-0) 4. Pond Creek-Hunter (6-5) 5. Cherokee (5-5) 6. Geary (5-5) 7. Canton (12-2) 8. Ringwood (1-9) 9. Kremlin-Hillsdale (5-5) 10. Merritt (0-10) 2009 record in parentheses
Laverne is atop the poll, meanwhile, Garber (14-0 in 2009), Seiling (13-2) and Canton (12-2) make up three other powers in the 10-team conference.
Canton and Seiling each lost just two games, both to the eventual state champion. Garber topped Canton twice in Class B, while Timberlake did the same to Seiling in Class C.
New start at Ringwood
First-year coach Rustin Donaldson has a rebuilding job ahead of him with Ringwood coming off a 1-9 season. However, he's gotten a good head start in one of the most important factors in rebuilding — a full roster.
"Thirty-seven signed up to play," Donaldson said. "We have good numbers."
Donaldson said his new squad will have to learn a new system, but the likes of seniors Austin Farrand (OL/DE) and Victor Trejo (RB/LB) will help the transition.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 402At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 378Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 347How to help tornado victims
- 247Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 147Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 93Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 52Social media used to send prayers and condolences to Oklahoma in wake of deadly tornadoes