Does virginity still matter?
With social pressure everywhere, young people evaluate whether virginity still matters in the modern world.
NewsOK Related Articles
“The ‘no sex' of youth groups didn't keep me from having sex,” she said. “The practicality is what makes me hold on to my virginity.
“My first serious boyfriend had a list, and I did not want to be on it.”
Mickle said she may have even understood the consequences of her actions, despite the fog of teenhood.
“When you're a teen, you're not gonna fully understand everything, and you're gonna make less informed decisions,” she said. “It would've been devastating if it had just happened.”
Sure enough, Mickle's purity ring-free hand confirms that a promise to herself means more than anything.
“Those girls are pressured into purity rings, as if God won't love them anymore,” she said, “but we had girls getting pregnant in our church all the time.”
Just to be clear, Mickle said she's not waiting for anything.
“When the time comes, I'm totally on board,” she said. “I mean, I don't want some guy to be waiting for me. Get a life.”
Mickle may have made it through the hormone-crazed, teenage mating ground regret-free, but she still entertains the thought/fear that she could be single forever. For her, finding things in life that she can be passionate about supersedes any sexual drive.
“People define themselves with sex — how much or how little they have,” she said. “But I was raised to define myself by what kind of person I am.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 15155OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10481Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 7111Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6362Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 6344Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5951Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4162As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in