Dolphins want to get ground game going
The Dolphins had seven turnovers in the two defeats, including five interceptions by Tannehill. Their longest gain was 19 yards, and they went 5 for 23 converting third-down situations.
"My goal is obviously for us to be better than we are right now, which isn't very good," Sherman said. "We need to function better as an offense."
During one stretch Miami went 27 consecutive offensive possessions without a touchdown.
"It's really frustrating," Tannehill said, "especially with some of the success we had earlier in the year being able to move the ball."
Early in the year, Miami ran the ball well. Reggie Bush ranked second in the league in rushing after two weeks, but he has netted only 82 yards during the losing streak.
Against Buffalo last Thursday, Miami's running backs managed only 53 yards in 23 carries, an average of 2.3 per play. Bush lost 5 yards on one carry and 4 on another, creating long-yardage situations that have been part of Miami's third-down problem.
"You want your run game to get you into manageable third downs," Sherman said.
Fits and starts are to be expected when players are still learning an offense, Sherman said. He predicted they'll become more comfortable with his system in his second or third year with Miami.
But the schedule won't wait, and the Dolphins must find a way now to shake their scoring slump.
"I've been in situations where you hit a wall, and you fight your way through it," Sherman said. "This wall has been extended a little bit too long for my liking. We have to go out and play better and coach better and try to break through this thing."
Online: http://pro32.ap.org/poll and http://twitter.com/AP_NFL
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14804OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10332Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6926Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6240Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 6240Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5695Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4108Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?