College football: Don't expect much from the ACC this bowl season
There are few certainties in bowl season. But here are two. The SEC wins the Big Bowl. And the Atlantic Coast Conference will stink. In the last five years, the ACC is 14-28 in bowl games.
There are few certainties in bowl season. But here are two.
The SEC wins the Big Bowl. And the Atlantic Coast Conference will stink.
In the last five years, the ACC is 14-28 in bowl games. Only five of the 14 wins came against teams from the SEC, Big 12, Big Ten or Pac-12. The majority of the ACC's wins have come against the likes of Navy, East Carolina, Nevada and the Big East.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
The ACC hasn't had a winning bowl season since 2005. Since Florida State's victory over future ACC member Virginia Tech in the 1999 national title game, the ACC has only one BCS bowl victory — in the Orange, over Big East team Cincinnati.
With the conference realignment shuffle, the ACC's football status suddenly is in question. If college football morphs toward four major conferences, the ACC now seems more vulnerable than does the Big 12.
The Big 12 was picked at by geography and politics. The ACC could be sliced by schools like Florida State and Clemson seeking better football.
The ACC in 2012 had its lowest average attendance in 12 years, 45,274. And no marquee victories in the regular season.
Florida State lost to Florida. Clemson lost to South Carolina. Miami lost to Kansas State. North Carolina State lost to Tennessee. North Carolina lost to Louisville. Georgia Tech lost to Georgia.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 97533Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 13957Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9425Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8660Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 8311OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 7700How to help tornado victims
- 7421Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges