Dual State Wrestling: Tuttle wins fourth consecutive dual state title
The Tigers cruised to easy 43-10 victory over Vinita in Class 4A to win their fourth consecutive dual state title.
CUSHING — Tuttle coach Matt Surber knew his team was the heavy favorite in the Class 4A Dual State Championships. Still, Surber was nervous about how his team might perform.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
He would have no reason to be as the Tigers cruised to easy 43-10 victory over Vinita to win their fourth consecutive dual state title.
The win over Vinita came after Tuttle had already routed Bristow (63-13) and Blackwell (61-9) earlier in the day.
“Today I was more nervous than in the last couple years,” Surber said. “When you're heavily favored, and everyone keeps telling you that, you feel the pressure for your team to perform.”
Surber isn't exactly sure what the secret is behind Tuttle's run of success.
“I don't know what it is,” Surber said when asked about the run of championships. “We just got a formula right now where our kids really believe in themselves and it shows.”
In the finals, Tuttle put Vinita away quickly by winning the first seven matches of the dual to open up a 31-0 lead. During that stretch the Tigers got bonus point wins from Dakota Head, Austin Elam, and Zachary Beard.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 16804Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8821OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6453Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5885Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 5756OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4970Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4920Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater