Dual State Wrestling: Tuttle wins fourth consecutive dual state title
The Tigers cruised to easy 43-10 victory over Vinita in Class 4A to win their fourth consecutive dual state title.
CUSHING — Tuttle coach Matt Surber knew his team was the heavy favorite in the Class 4A Dual State Championships. Still, Surber was nervous about how his team might perform.
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
He would have no reason to be as the Tigers cruised to easy 43-10 victory over Vinita to win their fourth consecutive dual state title.
The win over Vinita came after Tuttle had already routed Bristow (63-13) and Blackwell (61-9) earlier in the day.
“Today I was more nervous than in the last couple years,” Surber said. “When you're heavily favored, and everyone keeps telling you that, you feel the pressure for your team to perform.”
Surber isn't exactly sure what the secret is behind Tuttle's run of success.
“I don't know what it is,” Surber said when asked about the run of championships. “We just got a formula right now where our kids really believe in themselves and it shows.”
In the finals, Tuttle put Vinita away quickly by winning the first seven matches of the dual to open up a 31-0 lead. During that stretch the Tigers got bonus point wins from Dakota Head, Austin Elam, and Zachary Beard.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments