Duke-Florida State Preview Capsule
Duke (6-2, 3-1 Atlantic Coast Conference) at No. 11 Florida St (7-1, 4-1), 3:30 p.m. (ESPNU)
Line: Florida State by 28.
Series record: Florida State leads 17-0.
WHAT'S AT STAKE
Florida State can't slip again and keep its hopes of winning the ACC's Atlantic Division since North Carolina State, which plays at North Carolina on Saturday, controls its destiny in the division. Duke sits atop the Coastal Division of the ACC and must keep winning to stay ahead of a jumbled field in that battle for a spot in the league's title game in December. The Blue Devils, who have never defeated Florida State, still have Clemson, Georgia Tech and Miami remaining.
Florida State's league-leading defense led by pass rushers Bjoern Werner and Cornellius Carradine against Duke's pass-first offense that averages 289.4 yards a game in the air, led by QB Mike Renfree. The Seminole defense, which leads the ACC in all major defensive categories, has allowed 157.4 yards passing a game.
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Duke: WR Conner Vernon, who needs 94 receiving yards to break former Seminole Peter Warrick's ACC record of 3,517 yards. Vernon is already the ACC's career leader with 249 catches. Vernon has caught at least one pass in 43 straight games. Vernon and sophomore Jamison Crowder each have 51 catches and five touchdowns this season for Duke.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 14417OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 14044Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 8989Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 7004Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5982Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5451Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5357Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss