Durant girl, 12, talks about shooting home intruder
Kendra St. Clair, 12, said she was just doing what she had to when she shot a home intruder Wednesday in Durant.
Videoview all videos
Oct 19Authorities say a 12-year-old girl shot and wounded a man...
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
According to the 911 recording, the intruder was inside the house for about six minutes while Kendra was told by the dispatcher to stay on the phone and keep it on speaker.
“The bathroom light switch makes a noise when you turn it on and Kendra heard it,” St. Clair said.
As Kendra saw the door knob turn slowly, she fired the gun, her mother said.
Jones was hit in the chest, Undersheriff Ken Golden said.
Jones ran out of the house and was chased down by Bryan County officers, he said.
He was taken by helicopter to a Plano, Texas, hospital to be treated before he was taken into custody, Golden said.
When the dispatcher told Kendra to lay the gun down after she shot it, she didn't want to because she heard more people in the house, her mother said. The dispatcher assured her the police were there.
“When she got out of the closet she ran to the officer and squeezed him, and he hugged her back,” St. Clair said.
St. Clair said she doesn't know whether the intruder wanted to steal something or was after her daughter.
“I was told by the police that he had been homeless for 10 days and that he might have been looking for food,” she said. “I would hate it if I knew he was watching her.
“I am just first so thankful to God that he was keeping an eye out for her,” St. Clair said.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 22176Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 12149Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10702Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8951Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8805Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8651Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8107Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister