Dynamo beat CD FAS 4-0 in CONCACAF Champs League
HOUSTON (AP) — Giles Barnes and Bobby Boswell scored in the first half, and Cam Weaver and Calen Carr added second-half goals to lead the Houston Dynamo in a 4-0 win over El Salvador's CD FAS on Thursday in the group stage of the CONCACAF Champions League.
Houston took the Group Three lead with the win and will play Honduras' Olimpia on Oct. 23 in Houston to decide the winner of the group.
CD FAS was officially eliminated from contention for the quarterfinal stage. CD FAS faces Olimpia Sept. 27 in El Salvador.
Barnes put the Dynamo ahead 1-0 in the 21st minute with a left-footed shot from 25 yards out that found the upper right corner just inside the far post.
Boswell increased Houston's lead to 2-0 in the 44th, heading in Colin Clark's free kick. Weaver scored in the 49th, hitting a one-timer from the inside the box.
Clark sent the ball into the box and Weaver misplayed it off CD FAS' Elder Figueroa, who kicked it right back to Weaver for the goal.
Carr sealed the win in the 79th, taking a pass and dribbling around a defender before chipping it in from 8 yards out over goalkeeper Daniel Arroyo.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 57337Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14801Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9259Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7518Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6644Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6577Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6568How to help tornado victims